What is the meaning / definition of Average Length of Stay in the hospitality industry?
ALOS stands for Average Length of Stay. It is the average amount of days guests stay at the hotel during a particular period.
Average Length of Stay (ALOS) = Number of roomnights / Number of bookings
How to calculate:
- Length of stay = date of discharge - date of admission
- LOS of Guest A = [(4-4-2013) - (10-4-2013)] = 6
- LOS of Guest B = [(2-4-2013) - (13-4-2013)] = 11
- LOS of Guest C = [(15-4-2013) - (20-4-2013)] = 5
- LOS of Guest D = [(22-4-2013) - (30-4-2013)] = 8
- Total Length of stay: 6 + 11 + 5 + 8 = 30 days
- Average Length of Stay: Total length of stay / Total number of reservations
- 30 / 4 = 7,5 days
Alos can vary a lot. A typical hotel in Amsterdam city center has an ALOS of 1,8 while a Resort located in Bali can have a Alos of 8,5.